Black mold is an indoor mold that thrives in a humid and damp environment. It is very harmful to our health because it releases spores in the air which can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin.
Why Is Black Mold So Dangerous?
Black mold is a toxic mold that is related to numerous respiratory reactions including sneezing, coughing, watery and itchy eyes, and a sore throat. The excessive exposure to black mold can lead to serious health complications.
A study showed that exposure to mold during infancy caused asthma, and can lead to neurological deterioration, dysfunction, and brain inflammation.
4 Black Mold Signs and Symptoms
1. Musty Smell
Mold is known for its unpleasant smell. If you notice a musty smell in your house, check each room. In a case you don’t find anything, remove the tiles, wallpaper, and plastering.
2. Visible Dark Rings and Spots (Water Damage)
If you notice dark rings and spots on the ceilings and walls, keep in mind that they are the earliest signs of mold. Although they are not mold, they show water damage, which can contribute to mold growth. Mop it up and use disinfectants to clean it immediately.
3. Respiratory Irritation
Some of the most common symptoms of black mold exposure include itchy skin, headaches, watery eyes, and skin irritation. If you notice some of these symptoms, get it check out as soon as you can.
4. Visible Growths and Odd Colors
Even though black mold is black, you should know that it has many variations: dark growth or black stain, green brown, white, or orange spots.
How to Get Rid of Black Mold
Use duct tape over cracks and vents to close off the affected area. In this way, you will prevent spores from transporting the mold to other areas. Next, you should clean the area with water, soap, and scrub brush. Make sure to apply a strong disinfectant, ventilate and keep it dry.
The best disinfectants include:
- Tea tree oil (mix 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil with a cup of water in a spray bottle)
- Grapefruit seed extract (mix 20 drops of grapefruit seed extract with 2 cups of water in a spray bottle)
- Hydrogen peroxide (spray a 3% concentration onto the affected area)
- White vinegar (spray directly onto the affected area).
- Reduce humidity because mold thrives in humid and damp environment
- Improve ventilation (use a dehumidifier or keep the home well-ventilated.
- Watch for leaks (around ventilation ducts and appliances as moisture stimulates growth)