How often do you hear someone talk about anxiety or read about it in the media? Probably a lot.
As someone who suffers from anxiety and its symptoms, it feels good to finally see it acknowledged as a serious disorder that can be categorized under mental illness. Living with anxiety is extremely difficult. You have to keep pretending that everything is alright because those who have never experienced it don’t truly know what it’s like.
At some point, my condition worsened. I hated being in social situations and I started to develop other serious problems like migraines, stomach problems, fatigue, and weight fluctuations. I was eventually diagnosed by a professional and started attending therapy. I was also prescribed pills, but this was a temporary solution. As with all medication, these pills gave me some unpleasant side effects that I did not want to experience for long.
Tired of trying to fix my situation with medication, I came up with other solutions. One of them was meditation and the other was reading the Bible.
I grew up in a religious household, but I never really understood the healing powers of Scripture until I used it to help me cope with anxiety. Now, whenever I feel anxious or sad I pick up the holy book because it is the one thing that can truly help me find peace. God never promised that things will be easy for us in this life, but He did ask us put our trust in him and he will bring peace to our lives.
Whether you’re battling anxiety or you’re just going through other personal struggles, here are 10 uplifting Bible verses that can help strengthen your faith and offer comfort during tough times, like it did for me:
1.”When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” – Psalm 56:3-4
2. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9-11
3. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
4. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” – John 14:27
5. “The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” – Psalm 34:17-18
6. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
7. “An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” – Proverbs 12:25
8. “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” – 2 Corinthians 4:16-17
9. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
10. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
Do you use the Bible to help you get through tough situations? Let us know!